Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Important Things

There are lots of important things in life, I think. Things as simple as knowing who you are, or hanging with the right crowd are vitally important. Things as complex as relationships and doing the right thing are also very important. The future, who you want to be, what you can do to become better, what graduate school you go to, where you want to live, what you believe, what values you have, how you deal with things, whether or not you let things go,how you view your mistakes, how you view things that aren't mistakes, but you don't know what category to put them in...all these things are important. Almost everything is important in life.

Which is why even the simple act of giving up is important. There is a time for everything under the sun, Ecclesiastes says, and this is the time for giving up. Not on everything. Just one thing. It's something that I've been holding on to, and have had a lot of trouble letting go. Some of you will be able to guess. Some of you will not. But in the area of letting go--let's just say I've always had trouble with it.

But this letting go, this giving up...it is important. It's nice to finally be able to feel as though it no longer has a hold on me. Previously, I would be worried about losing something--well, that something was already lost, and I was mourning its loss. Now, it's time to begin a new chapter.

I am more alive and focused on the important things in my life than I have been for a long time. I am able to pour myself into what I do every day, whether that be writing, spending time with friends and family, sorting out my thoughts, looking for a job, spending time with God, or just taking a break. I've let go. And it's a very freeing thing.

There's nothing new that I've learned from this. There's nothing that's really changed. That's what makes this all so curious--there's nothing to be gained or lost from this. It's simply the passing of time, the decision to change focus.

God has a plan for me, and I'd prefer to focus on making it possible for some of those plans to show up.

No comments:

Post a Comment